It is so super important to highlight and contour your face if you are a bride especially for your pictures. This is often so talked about but little understood. The key is to blend blend blend and use very little product. This technique creates a lot of dimension in your face which looks so gorgeous in photographs. As illustrated in the picture your highlighter is applied to these areas: 1) top of your cheek bones and outer edge of your eye socket 2) bridge of your nose & your brow ridge to any frowning 3) top of your upper lip 4) chin 5) outer corners of your mouth. Highlighters have light reflectors which are used to create extra luminosity and lift your face. Contouring uses a darker shade to hollow or recede areas on your face to give definition and subtly altering your shape. Areas where contouring should be applied are: 1) hollow of your cheekbones 2) top of your forehead 3) outer edges of your nose 4) jawline to give definition and slim the neck
My Favorite Products in my kit for highlighting:
1) Liquid: Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer #7
2) Liquid: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizers (two shades lighter than your skin tone)
3) Liquid: Nars Illuminators
4) Liquid: Benefit High Beam
5) Liquid: Makeup Forever Uplight
6) Cream: MAC in Shell and Pearl
7) Powder: MAC Mineralize Skin Finishes
8 ) Powder: Nars Albatrose
My Favorite Products in my kit for Contouring:
1) Liquid: Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer #3
2) Liquid: Makeup Forever HD Foundation (a color two shades darker than your skintone)
3) Liquid: If you love airbrushing then this is also a great way to contour using dark colors
4) Cream: Nars Multiple Bronzer
5) Powder: MAC Blunt
6) Powder: Nars Laguna
7) Powder: Chanel Bronze Universel
If you are unsure about all this, I would buy a kit that has both your highlighting and contouring color together such as Makeup Forever’s Sculpting kit or Smashbox Contour Kit. Trick: You can even create your own highlighter or contouring color at home by taking your favorite loose eyeshadow and mixing it with either a transluscent powder or a tinted moisturiser.
Here is a video for those of you that want to see how it’s done!
It’s raining in LA today, first time in months! But it’s back to scorching tomorrow 😉 yay!
Have a beautiful Wednesday,
Nicoletta Daskalakis is a Makeup Artist and Hairstylist based in Los Angeles, CA
|« How to choose the perfect red lipstick for you!||Be a Boardroom Beauty! »|
Be part of this journey with me as a multipassionate entrepreneur. As we have seen from 2020, things change weekly and I would love to share my life of motherhood, business and purpose with you.